50 relatives of victims of the corona pandemic in Italy are defending against the authorities’ handling of the crisis with a class action lawsuit against unknown persons.
Other regions are likely to follow, given the brutal numbers: In addition to the 127 dead, 15,199 new cases of infection were reported on Wednesday. The next two weeks will be decisive in determining whether a general lockdown can still be prevented. According to a decision by the Italian government, it should come when 2300 corona patients are in the intensive care units. The strategy of tracking the chains of infection, which is so successful in Asian countries, has already collapsed cities like Milan, as did the director of the local health department (ATS), Vittorio Demicheli , openly admits: «We are no longer able to track all contacts, quarantine the contacts. We call on people who have had suspicious contact or who show symptoms to voluntarily stay at home.» The Italian army of 9,000 «tracers» from the health authorities is at the limit, as Matteo Troncatti, tracer in Bologna, told the newspaper «Repubblica»: «We were first the ‘heroes’ of the pandemic, today we are treated as annoyances: four of five contact persons miss us. » The mood has turned against them.
Many contacts called by the tracers still believe that they do not have to take the virus seriously. It is the failures of politics that are now taking revenge. There is a lack of tracers in all regions. For reasons of ideological reservations, the Conte government does not want to use the 40 billion euros from the EU’s ESM fund – money that Italy would have to invest in the health system for a specific purpose.
Another omission is the Italian corona warning app «Immuni». So far it has only helped to track down 13 positives. A real hit in the water. Almost seven million Italians have downloaded the app, but the download boom only came in the last few days.
The government simply did not advertise it for fear of criticism in the social media, it was using the information on «health espionage». When asked by the restaurant owner in Rome, «Who screwed it up?», The verdict could only be: Too many. Source: ntv.de «If the country does not move forward in an emergency, this will probably not happen in the future,» says Italian Prime Minister Conte. (Photo: AP) Italy is one of the worst from the corona pandemic affected countries in Europe. The state orders are particularly strict. Now Prime Minister Conte thanks his compatriots for their patience. But now work is starting to stimulate the economy. Three months after the outbreak of the Corona wave in Italy, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has his compatriots praised for their discipline in fighting the virus. «If the worst is behind us, it is thanks to the citizens who have changed their lifestyle,» he said in a Red e before the Chamber of Deputies in Rome.https://123helpme.me/biology-essay-writing-service/ At the same time, he announced extensive economic reforms, but Conte also prepared the country for the challenges of the coming months to become even more difficult.
Italy must get the ailing economy going while keeping infection rates under control. To this end, he asked the banks to do more: «The banking system can and must do more to provide credit.» He also announced that bureaucracy would be cut, company management improved and investments made easier. There will be a «simplification decree» to attract capital from abroad.
Companies hit hard by the pandemic should also receive capital injections, said the non-party head of government. If the country does not move forward now in an emergency, it will probably not happen in the future. The notorious bureaucracy and poorly employer-friendly guidelines are considered to be one reason why Italy has had lower economic growth than other European countries for years. Because of the pandemic, Italy, which is particularly badly affected, is threatened by a slump in economic output of 9.5 percent this year, according to an estimate by the EU Commission – significantly more than, for example, in Germany. Italian government circles said, among other things, rules would be checked made it difficult for companies to move abroad. This also applies to regulations that Italian shareholders prefer in takeover attempts. In order to promote the tourism industry, Conte called on 60 million citizens to vacation in their own country.
Addressing young people in particular, however, he warned that the time was not yet ripe for high spirits, celebrations and a new start to nightlife. There had recently been reports of celebrations and gatherings of young people. He announced that Italy would shortly begin testing the planned anti-corona app «Immuni». This is intended to discover contact persons of infected people more quickly.
In a balance sheet of the fight against Covid-19 disease, Conte said Italy was ahead in terms of the number of smears per inhabitant. So far, 3.17 million tests for a corona infection have been made. The virus wave came to light on February 20 through cases of illness in northern Italy. Since then, the authorities have counted to 20.
May a total of 227,364 infections and more than 32,000 deaths related to the corona virus. After exit and contact restrictions, the number of new infections has long been falling. After the speech in the larger parliamentary chamber, the premier also spoke in the senate in Rome. Source: ntv.de, jwu / rts / dpa «» News and information at a glance.
Collection of articles by n-tv.de on the subject of Giuseppe Conte At the height of the Corona crisis, almost 900 people die in Italy every day. The government has significantly reduced this value with strict restrictions. So she wants to start easing next week.
First, the economy is ramped up. Schools close in March in Italy, which is badly plagued by Corona. It should stay that way for now. The Italian government does not plan to return to school until September. But before that, other easing will come into force.
Gradually, Italy is getting the coronavirus crisis under control and wants to relax the very resolute restrictions on economic and private life. The media are reporting on a timetable according to which a lot should be possible again by mid-May – subject to strict guidelines. After around two months, Italy begins to relax the everyday restrictions due to the corona pandemic. Step by step, Prime Minister Conte emphasizes, anything else would be «irresponsible».
He wants to present a timetable this week. Germany helped the corona crisis region Lombardy early on in an emergency. However, it is not gratitude that dominates in Italy, but sheer hatred of the Germans. It is fueled by populists who would rather split than take responsibility for their own mismanagement. By Udo Gümpel, Rome The corona pandemic hits heavily indebted Italy.
In order to borrow money cheaply to combat the crisis, the country is promoting joint EU bonds. The federal government rejects such corona bonds. That is unwise, explains Prime Minister Conte in an interview with a German newspaper. Strict exit bans have been in place in Italy since March 10th.
Only the most urgent routes are still allowed. It is unclear when the measures will end. Because the government of the country, which has been particularly hard hit by the corona virus, wants to extend it again. So far, the corona crisis has mainly been fought nationally. Like in Germany, where the Federal Council wants to approve a huge aid program.
But international coordination is also starting, albeit slowly. In the EU Parliament, hesitation is not well received. The EU summit, which was held via video link, was actually supposed to last only two hours – but the heads of government meet until late in the evening.
Italy is asking for more aid, but is particularly facing resistance from Germany. In the end, a compromise is just achieved. In Italy, the number of corona deaths increases significantly again within a day.
The effects of the curfew are only slowly becoming noticeable. And people still break the strict rules. You face higher penalties from now on. Rumors that the situation could last until the end of July are contradicted by Rome. «Cemetery near Bergamo: Many relatives do not want to let the death of their loved ones rest on them. (Photo: REUTERS) 34,000 virus deaths in Italy – the statistics stand for traumatic individual fates: People who could not say goodbye to their relatives and then were given a garbage bag with bloody clothes in their hand.
The government in Rome must now put up with questions of the judiciary, and the Italian judiciary has initiated investigations into the government’s handling of the corona crisis. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte should also be questioned, reported Italian media. The same applies to Health Minister Roberto Speranza and Interior Minister Luciana Lamorgese.
The investigations are led by the public prosecutor of Bergamo, where there were a particularly large number of corona victims. The investigations are primarily about the possible failure of the government to designate particularly affected areas as so-called «red zones» and thus the spread of the virus to stop, it was said from investigators. In Italy, according to official information, more than 34,000 people have died as a result of a coronavirus infection. On Tuesday, preliminary investigations into allegations of «negligent homicide» in the corona crisis were launched in France. The Paris prosecutor is investigating dozens of complaints about the endangerment of life by government decision-makers. However, President Emmanuel Macron cannot be prosecuted for his immunity. With a class action lawsuit against unknown persons, 50 relatives of victims of the corona pandemic in Italy are defending themselves against the authorities’ handling of the crisis.
The criminal complaint was filed with the public prosecutor’s office in the particularly hard-hit city of Bergamo in Lombardy because it became a symbol of the nationwide corona wave, explained co-initiator Stefano Fusco. Another 150 lawsuits are in preparation. After the death of his grandfather in March, the 31-year-old founded the Facebook group «Truth and Justice for the Victims of Covid-19» in a nursing home to get in touch with other relatives who were involved in similar dramas experienced. The group now has 55,000 members. «We don’t want revenge, we want justice,» said Fusco. The public prosecutor’s office in Bergamo is already running further proceedings because of the many corona deaths since the epidemic broke out in February. Local families accuse the authorities of the Lombardy region of setting up restricted zones too late and of exacerbating the crisis through years of cutbacks in the healthcare system. The pharmacist Cristine Longhini, for example, tells how the ambulance service initially refused to take her seriously ill father Claudio to the hospital as long as he did not have severe breathing problems. When the 65-year-old was finally brought to a special clinic for Covid-19 patients in Bergamo, there was no free bed in the intensive care unit. When he died, «they forgot to inform us,» reports Longhini.
And when the 39-year-old had to go to the hospital to identify her father, «they gave me his personal belongings, including his contaminated and bloody clothes, in a trash bag.» Because of the overcrowded cemeteries, the coffin with the body of Longhini’s father was taken away by army truck. The family only found out where he was being taken when they received the bill for a crematorium 200 kilometers away.
She has now decided to file a lawsuit because she and her colleagues believe that the crisis «was not handled appropriately,» says Longhini. «Nobody takes responsibility, nobody has apologized.» Diego Federici, who lost both parents, emphasizes that the complaint is not about money: «We don’t want any compensation. My parents can’t give me any money back.» The 35-year-old and his co-plaintiffs wanted those responsible to be held accountable and «that something like this can never happen again». Stefano Fusco’s father Luca, the chairman of the «Noi Denunceremo» committee behind the class action lawsuit (We denounce) , called for clarification on how the provinces of Bergamo and Brescia had dealt with the state of emergency «in order to understand who exactly made which mistakes». Laura Capella made a similar statement. The 57-year-old began to cry when she told about the death of her father, who met doctors who were completely overwhelmed. He died «without my being able to say goodbye to him,» she says. «We have been let down and we still feel let down.» Source: ntv.de, mau / AFP «The coronavirus pandemic hits Italy particularly hard.
The economy is groaning, the gross domestic product threatens to shrink by up to 14 percent. But Prime Minister Conte looks to the future with optimism, as it could be rosy thanks to EU funds. Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte wants to use the funds from the EU reconstruction fund to solve long-standing problems in his country. «Italy has shown a lower rate of growth in recent years compared to other European countries. Today, with these funds, we have an opportunity to catch up,» said the Prime Minister in an interview. The money is «not a handout for the current government, but one Investment that we need to make in Italy and in Europe for our children and grandchildren, «said Conte. This is an opportunity to «design a better Italy and work on a serious, comprehensive investment plan that will make the country more modern, environmentally friendly and socially inclusive». Italy has been hard hit by the corona pandemic.
According to official information, almost 34,500 infected people have died in the country so far. Various scenarios predict a decline in gross domestic product (GDP) of between 8.3 and 14 percent in 2020. At the end of May, the EU Commission had proposed a massive economic stimulus package totaling 750 billion euros to counter the corona crisis. 500 billion euros are said to be grants that do not have to be repaid. Italy is to receive a total of 172 billion euros.
However, a number of EU countries are against grants, some are calling for clear reform requirements for their southern neighbors in the allocation of funds. On Monday, Conte named the cornerstones of a huge economic program he had planned for restarting his country after the Corona crisis.